Thursday, June 14, 2007

Rolla-coastaaaaah.... of yaaaarn.

What a week! On the best and most fantabulously wonderful end of the spectrum, today is mine and DH's first wedding anniversary! We're heading to one of our favorite neighborhood haunts for pizza that reminds us of Italy (Pizzeria San Remo in the charming downtown of San Carlos). Saturday, we will be heading to Harris' in San Francisco for steaks, martinis, and wonderful wine. He sent me the most gorgeous roses I have ever seen and sniffed.

The yarn front has been so upsy downsy, I might be motion-sick. I fear all the wonderful and good might be offset by the enormous emotional weight of a teeny wee beastie. To wit, a moth. One floated drunkenly out of my stash last night. The main stash in the living room, which is, in the horrific 20/20 vision of hindsight, stupidly stored in a wickery hamper thing with nary a bit of armor. I salted my precious lovelies with sachets of lavendar and blocks of cedar without a thought of these foul winged invaders. I cavalierly failed to vacuum as much as I should, and dusting? Pfffft!

My shoddy housekeeping and careless ways have come home to roost in my beautiful and expensive stash. My hope is that the fluttery bastard I saw was just leaving after freaky moth sex with his chick (later babe! I'll call ya!), and no eggs have been laid, or if they have, none have hatched. For it is the absolutely revolting-looking larvae that eat the yarn. If the evil poxy eggs have hatched, I hope it hasn't been for long.

In any event, the entire stash is being picked up by Peninou for careful inspection and gentle (but effective) moth-killing and cleaning. There are no limited wars, people. The costs will be high, but the yarn must be saved. It is tempting to go the DIY route to save a little money and have the satisfaction of actually doing something about it with my own two hands. Until my own two hands touch. Ohmigod. Lar. Lar. Larvae. But this way lies folly.

I did cry, by the way, when the enormity of the danger to the stash dawned on me this morning. I am not ashamed to admit it.

Let's turn to the good stuff, shall we?

Rheingold arrived yesterday, my kit being in the Dunkeld colorway. This will likely be the only yarn not going to Peninou since it was nowhere near the scene of the crime.

Jessi sent me the most stunning array of hand-dyed loveliness ever collected in one box. Also not going to Peninou, as it is sitting under my desk at work. These shall be my sole comforts.

Got my shawl pin from Romi. Thank heaven there aren't any sterling moths.

Today is the Yarn Harlot's birthday. I am hoping that the gift of her presence to the yarn world somehow renders all moths sterile.

Off to wage the moth war. Wish me luck.

No comments: