Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Blogiversary

Yes, folks, a year ago today, I created this blog and posted my first entry. I perused that entry in a "taking stock" sort of way, and was amused to discover that I only completed one of the planned projects (Pam Allen's Floral Gathering Sac) and one of the WIPs (Koigu socks). The rest, I either didn't start, or unceremoniously frogged for various sound and good reasons.

But I have done a bunch of other things that I truly love and enjoyed knitting. My favorites include EZ's ribwarmer, the Children of Lir Stole, and Stefanie Japel's minisweater. It's been a productive and wonderful year in knitting. I am a better and choosier knitter than I was a year ago.

A huge thanks to everyone who has read the blog this year, and to everyone who has taken the time to comment.

Now, for some updates:

1. Moth

The be-moth'd yarn was not able to be dry-cleaned (it was actually going to be a gentler wet-cleaning process, according to the guy on the phone). This was deeply annoying to me when I first learned that they weren't going to be able to do it after all (despite calling ahead to avoid this very result), but whatever. I had begun to question the need to dry-clean anyway, and I think another round of dry ice-bombing will do the the trick. The yarn that was in other, moth-free, areas has been sucked into space bags and even more liberally salted with lavendar.

2. WIPs

The stuff on the needles is largely progressing well. Juno, especially, is chugging right along. The back is done, and I have both sleeves on the needles now. I plan to do the collar next to break up the monotony of 2x2 ribbing, and then do both fronts simultaneously to finish her up. It's a fast knit, and I am looking forward to wearing it when the weather turns cold.

The Cap Shawl is in the naughty basket at the moment. How simple eyelets can screw me up so badly, I will never know. I wanna say to it: "I did make Children of Lir, you know. I am not an idiot." I do like the pattern, though, and especially adore (ok, worship) the yarn, so this is still definitely a front-burner project destined for finishing. I'd like to have it done in time for the upcoming opera season, which starts in September. For anyone else, that would be plenty of time. But with me and my WIP proliferation, you never know.

Artfibers' Tsuki ROCKS, by the way. I have never (!) used Kidsilk Haze, so I can't compare. But when you can get a whole cone of Tsuki for less than the called-for amount of KSH and support a local institution, why even go there? It's a lovely yarn to work with, with a pleasant silky hand, and just enough of a mohair halo (not so much that it's really hairy). Also, working from the cone means the only ends you have to weave in are your cast on/off tails, and the bit where you broke the yarn to cast on the edging. I might try to fiddle my way out of that one, though.

Everything else is on the backburner, though I will always pick up a sock when I want something small to work on -- either to take on the road or just to fit in a couple of rows.

3. Yarny goodness

If you are in or near San Francisco, head on down to the Ferry Building (which you should do anyway - good gourmet shopping, the Farmer's Market, bay views, good eats...) and grab some organic wool yarn from Big Belly Farm, available at Capay Organic. According to the description on the band, the wool is "washed, dried and spun through a gentle, natural process." The yarns are undyed, so the colors are wonderfully sheepy creams and browns. The wool is a blend of Merino, Rambouillet, Lincoln & Suffolk sheep.

The yarn I bought is a 2 ply, probably DK weight, 250 yd/4 oz hank for 14.95. They also had a chunky 2 ply, and I thought I saw a lighter weight singles as well. I didn't closely examine them all (I was too excited for that), but I think all of the weights were sold in hanks of the same yardage for 14.95.

The yarn is soft, but durable-feeling: not like buddah, but not scratchy either. Me, I think it would be perfect for an Aran or gansey, so that's what I will be making. Leaning toward gansey, as I think the brown I chose would be more suitable for that, for some reason.

5 comments:

Bubblesknits said...

Happy Blogiversary to you, Happy Blogiversary to you, Happy Blogiversary dear Jennifer, Happy Blogiversary to you!

;-)

Leave it to me to be goofy.

Sarah said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, Happy Bloggerversary!! what a wonderful way to have a day! :D

You'll be seeing mooooreee of meeeeee...

Your Vacation Swap Pal

Holly said...

Happy Bloggerversary!!

Living in a house without screens, m*ths are a continual battle. Repeating the freeze nuke cycle works. It is even better if you skein the yarn (yes, I know - undoing all those balls) so that you get rid of the damaged yarn up front and leave as many eggs outside as possible...

It does mean that you play knots are us, but it is worth it.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a few weeks - I like it!
Thanks for the info on the Ferry Building. My family and I will be in SF for a couple of days next month and I will have to check it out.