Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes, We Did.

I belatedly join the chorus of joy proclaiming Barack Obama the 44th President of the United States of America. I love this photo:






And belatedly crawl out of my cone of silence to write again. Too much has happened to catch you all up, so let's just start fresh. I have returned to work in my beloved San Francisco. MUNI still sucks, of course, but what can you do.

And now, from the "No you di-int!" files, my joy at Obama's victory is dampened indeed by the passing of Proposition 8 in California. I urge everyone who believes that marriage is for all who desire to be committed to the person of their choice (not just for some) to speak out against its passing and continue the fight.

There are sound legal reasons to invalidate Proposition 8, which are better articulated by others. To that end, I urge you to read the Writ for Petition of Mandate Challenging Proposition 8, available here.

When rights are taken away from one group, they can be taken away from any, or all of us.


When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.


When they locked up the social democrats
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.


When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.


When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I was not a Jew.


When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

--Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemoller

No comments: