Thursday, September 28, 2006

For Whom the Frog Croaks

It croaks for DH's socks. Or, to be precise, sock.

This, perhaps, might have been foretold much earlier in the tale. To start, I did 2x2 ribbing around the cuff and from the beginning, realized that I'd messed it up. There was a spot of 4 stitches in stockinette. I left them and went blithely on.

I am less appalled at my utter disregard for fucked up knitting/rookie mistakes than I am at thinking I was apparently willing to give substandard socks to my wonderful DH. I am also a bit perplexed at my willingness to do this from a marketing standpoint. You see, I have a wee suspicion that he might need some convincing that knitting is actually a worthwhile endeavor, and further, that once he gets a knitted gift from me, he will want lots of knitted gifts from me. Shitty socks will hardly advance my cause.

But this isn't the worst of it. I did a round while waiting for the train to the airport, and a curious thing happened. I am knitting with two circulars, and rather than switch needles, I just kept on knitting with the same one, putting all the stitches on that one needle (non-knitters be advised that this is not what's supposed to happen).

I fixed this immediately, and in fiddling all the stitches around, I noticed two conspicuous and inexplicable holes in the knitting. Not dropped stitches. Not moths (cotton socks only for DH). Just. Random. Perfectly round. Holes. From nowhere. In plain stockinette.

So, they must be frogged. I'd rather do DH's golf club covers anyway (in Wool of the Andes).

Next on the frog list is the sideways scarf I started and promptly crammed back into the stash. This is the one that was supposed to use up the luscious: Colinette mohair, cashmere remnant, and recycled silk. I am not sure what will become of these. Suffice it to say, DH's Socks Take Two, will probably be done before any of these become a project.

No comments: