Monday, August 07, 2006

The Face of My Enemy

I have seriously slacked on the name change front. Wanting to be Mrs. Dickinson is easy. Making it officially so is a little more difficult, especially for the patience-challenged. I went up to the Social Security Administration office in Chinatown today, sans appointment, on the theory that… what? There wouldn’t be a line? Even I am not that delusional. I don’t know what my theory was. In fact, I don’t think I had one.

I didn’t bring my knitting and it hardly mattered. No amount or quality of knitting could have made that wait anything less than harrowing, long, tedious, awful, insane, epic and, last but not least, ridiculous (my favorite wait-related adjective). I could have been knitting the most complicated Aran sweater in the most gorgeous cashmere ever created, and I would have felt every second of the hideous wait. Even the security guard said, “it will be very long,” in the wise way of a man who knows of what he speaks.

Apparently, while appointments are theoretically available, it would require calling the SSA’s toll-free number. The wait on hold is the telephonic equivalent of the wait in one of the SSA’s offices. He advised me to come back later in the week, closer to closing time. If it is still intolerable, I will mail in my stuff and hope to high heaven that my original documents come back to me.

Assuming I don't run for the hills, I will probably need more than DH’s socks to keep me busy. I started the Snowdrop Shawl and it is going pretty well, I have to say. I think the Rowan 4 Ply Soft is going to work. It probably will be less gossamer than the original version, but still a nice shawl when complete.

I finally passed the halfway point on the Snuggle. We rented a couple of movies, and a garter stitch Snuggle is exactly the kind of thing you can do with your eyes on the small screen. I paid so much attention to the movie (Match Point) that I was able to predict quite a few plot points before they were revealed. And before I knew it, I was on the decrease side of my Snuggle.

As for the other movie, if I were a famous film critic/knitter, my review of V for Vendetta would consist of one sentence: “this movie is a perfect choice if you are working on a project that requires your fullest attention, such as The Yarn Harlot’s ‘Snowdrop Shawl.’”

No comments: